Our multi-age model (also known as family grouping) at the Tinning and Mitchell Street centres enables siblings and friends of all ages to mix together throughout the day.
Research has highlighted the benefits for both teachers and children in a multi-age setting:
- Younger children are challenged; older children learn to nurture, support and lead others.
- All children are engaged at play at their own developmental level, which encourages individual differences to be embraced and celebrated.
- Children develop a connectedness between learning experiences and build co-operative learning skills such as sharing, turn-taking, mentoring and negotiating.
- Children interact with others who have similar or different capabilities, needs and interests, which in turn deepens and extends their own understanding.
- Children facilitate and scaffold each other’s learning.
- Children show increased pro-social behaviour (caring, tolerance, patience, support).
The multi-age grouping model describes learning as ‘phases of learning’, rather than ‘age or year level’ appropriate learning.
Children are encouraged to work and play together, fostering a strong sense of identity and belonging.
four centres, one community
Our Happy Families
Both of my daughters have attended Mitchell Street and loved it there. When my second daughter started, the family grouping allowed my older daughter to be with her as she was adjusting to the new space. It was good peace of mind to know that they had each other during the day whilst I was working.
News & Events
It was that time of year again when an enthusiastic group of MCCCC educators participated in Melbourne City Mission’s Sleep at the G. Sleep at the G is now in its seventh year and raises much needed funds for Melbourne City Mission, who support more than 5,000 people experiencing…
On Tuesday 26 March 2019, MCCCC hosted a sustainability information session at CERES. Over platters of delicious finger food provided by the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, attendees heard speakers from CERES, Moreland Energy Foundation Limited (MEFL) and Scienceworks. Topics included…
MCCCC has a number of vacancies at its Dunstan Reserve centre (Everett Street, Brunswick West) in the three to four-year-old age group. MCCCC offers an integrated kindergarten program delivered by fully qualified kindergarten teachers. School-readiness is a major focus of the kinder…
Welcome to the third issue of our new E-NewsletterThe Moreland SCCCCoop! I say it every year around November, but honestly, where has the year gone?! I know many of our families feel the same way. Christmas festivities are only around the corner and before we know it some of our…